Saturday, June 7, 2008

California 5/29/08 - 6/2/08: Day 2

Friday, 5/30/08 – My Birthday/Tattoo Day/Nightmare of You

"I can’t sleep anymore!" This occurred at 5:30am in California time.

We enjoyed the free continental breakfast and got ourselves all ready for a full day in California.

Since we have this new tradition, (it’s funny, it became a tradition and we only did it one time. I guess now that it has happened twice it IS a tradition, but you know…whatever) we figured it would be best to get our tattoos first so we would not run out of money.

We headed out to Studio City, California to go to Studio City Tattoo.

On our way, I took a lot of lame pictures.
This was my attempt to take a photo of Mulholland Drive.

If you saw the photo in its original size, you might actually see the Dr of "Drive". It’s hard to take photos while riding in a moving car…or limo.

"That is Old School… Take a picture!"


Honestly, I swear the photos aren’t all of silly things. I do sometimes take good photos.

Red lights help when it comes to taking photos of road signs.
"Buddy Holly Drive"

I love Buddy Holly.
And of course we sang the Weezer song.

We went over to Jamba Juice. I forget what I had, but it was yummy. At least my name was pronounced correctly. "Shay-nuh?"

They have grocery stores called "Ralphs" and Shana insisted I take a photo… because it’s her dad’s name.


I took a photo of this billboard for my mom… and frankly I thought it was kind of cool.


We did some stuff, had some lunch, and finally it was time for our tattoos!


With tattoos and pirates you really can’t go wrong. With a crazy good tattoo shop on top of that you really really can’t go wrong. And with a crazy good tattoo artist as the cherry on top… well that just makes for an excellent day/birthday.


Shana went first. Shana does feel pain. She hid it with a smile, but very rarely.


This was my attempt at artistry.
Dana through the looking glass… Shanas pain on the outside.


Then it was my turn. I am an idiot and originally had a good shirt on to get back tattoos but I changed my clothes before we left not thinking that the shirt I put on was a stupid decision. Thus, I was able to rock the backwards jacket look.

And I rocked it well!

I also have nothing clever to say before this picture. So here it is.
Oh wait.

First name Dana. Last name Rocks.

Wait… maybe that wasn’t clever, but I’ll go with it.


So interestingly enough this photo has my tag showing and shows off my evil red eye. However, Dana was tattooing on the "Evil" side so I guess it all works out.
I'm making a dumb face.
But seriously...
"Pain don’t hurt."


I don’t care if it’s not a word…
"I’m Bleedy!"


"While I’ve got my shirt off"

I got the Transformer symbols as my "Angel" and "Devil" on my shoulder. I’ve always wanted the Angel and Devil because I am a Gemini… I do have that whole "two personalities" thing going on with me… but I never wanted something too cliché. What better way to show off who I am, A girl who loves the 1980’s and my childhood, (though I could also be a robot in disguise) than the Transformers. Since I do actually like the remake (LaBeef!) and I liked how they were promoting the Autobots with "Protect" and the Decepticons with "Destroy" I decided that would go along well with my tattoo design, especially since that’s basically what Angels and Devils do. I also planned on getting it in all black, but fortunately decided to go with color instead.


Autobot: Protect


Decepticon: Destroy


Shana got her clownfish redone.
To show the awesome of Dana…
This is her before tattoo:


And this is the after:


I would tell the story of the clownfish but I don’t really know it.
Shana likes clownfish… Not because of Finding Nemo.

His name is "Firecracker" (yeah, don’t you name your tattoos!? I do!)
It really is like comparing apples to black cobra firecrackers.

After an awesome birthday very reminiscent of my birthday 10 years earlier when I turned 16 and spent my entire day in a tattoo shop in Baltimore… we decided to catch Nightmare of You at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood.

I love love love love love Nightmare of You so it was pretty awesome that the fates worked out that they would be in Hollywood on my birthday at the same time that I am in Hollywood.

We walked around Hollywood Boulevard a bit before going into the show so we missed the first two bands. We got there just before The Graduate went on and I must admit they were pretty good. Then we saw Nightmare of You. Honestly, I love this band… in a non crazy stalker fan girl sort of way.


In 26 years, I think this was…by far… the best birthday ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just "got the idea" to put the Autobot and Decepticon symbols on my shoulders, but I knew at least the Autobot tattoo has been done before, so I decided to search this one out, and here it is! Very nicely done. I like the addition of the words, too. I don't know if seeing it done will deter me... I am a Gemini as well. I like the duality of my good and evil sides. Anyway, I hope you get notification of these comments!